The Girl and the Dreamcatcher, made up of Dove Cameron and Ryan McCartan, just released their debut EP last week called ‘Negatives’. This EP showcases the amazing vocal talents of these two in songs that express and encapsulate a wide range of topics. Here is a breakdown of the songs in the EP:
- Make You Stay: this song was released a while before the EP accompanied by a sweet music video which also starred Luke Benward and has amassed more than 5 million views. This is the first song off the EP and the lyrics are so sweet and simple and depict a person wanting to do anything to make their partner stay. This song really warms the heart and their vocals on this song are perfect.
- Glowing In The Dark: this was another song that was released earlier, a whole 6 months before the release of the EP. The music video has already gotten more than 13 million views and this song had fans hooked for this new EP. This song has a awesome beat and carries on the theme of the entire EP.
- Gladiator: This is another sweet song off the EP. Gladiator has sweet lyrics which that gives off such a strong message: “I go gladiator for your love”, a line in the chorus which shows that love is worth fighting for.
- My Way: this song expresses the craving to do things “My Way”. TGATDC show that they want to express thing in their own way that shows individuality and creativity. They have definitely encompassed what this song is about through their EP. Dove’s higher register gives the chorus an eerie feel that really speaks to you.
- Cry Wolf: This song is definitely upbeat which the strong lyrical undertones it is trying to portray. Cry Wolf speaks of relationships, especially the highs and lows of one, the wanting to leave but then coming back. “All we ever do is cry wolf” – possibly a reference to the story “The Boy who Cried Wolf” (?). The whole song has an animalistic feel that just makes you want to move.
- Monster: this haunting ballad rounds off this exceptional EP with soaring melodies and relatable lyrics that seem to fill every space within you. Their voices meld together and complement each other so well in this song.
Dove and Ryan have taken us on a journey on this EP. Our ears have been blessed with the way their voices blend and complement each other. Their voices are given equal opportunities to shine and we get to really hear the extensive range in their voices. I have officially caught “the dream”. If this is just the beginning, can’t wait for what new music they have in store for us! or maybe a full album is next?
You can purchase The Girl and the Dreamcatcher’s debut EP on iTunes and Google Play Music. It is also available to stream on Spotify as well as on their YouTube channel.